Twice Baked Fajita Sweet Potatoes
Have some fun with your food by adding a Mexican-style of flavor to your entree! Incorporate sweet potatoes, feta cheese, and lime into this recipe for a richer, more savory and flavorful taste. For a lower fat intake, top your potatoes with fat-free sour cream, or for more protein try greek yogurt!
- 3 Sweet potatoes, whole, medium-sized cut in half
- 1 9 oz. Chicken Breast diced
- 1 Tbsp Oregano, dried
- 2 tsp Thyme, dried
- 2 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 tsp Salt
- 1⁄2 tsp Black pepper, ground
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Black Beans
- 1 Red Onion, medium-sized small dice or thinly sliced
- 1 Red/Yellow/Green Bell Peppers small dice or thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup Cheese, Feta crumbled or shredded cheddar
- 2 Avocado sliced
- 1 cup Sour Cream, low fat or fat free OR Greek Yogurt*
- 1 bunch Cilantro, fresh chopped
- Lime, fresh to taste cut into wedges
- Salsa to taste
- Chili-Garlic Sauce to taste
Preheat oven to 430°F; arrange the halved sweet potatoes- cut side up onto baking tray and roast until fork-tender, about 40 minutes.
In a pan add a tablespoon of oil; add garlic, onions, and peppers and cook for 3 minutes; add chicken breasts and season with the oregano, thyme, cumin and black pepper, cook until chicken fully done (internal temperature of 165°F and thoroughly mixed; add beans and mix. Heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Remove sweet potatoes from oven and let cool enough until they are warm enough to handle; scoop out the flesh of the sweet potato leaving about a 1⁄2 inch wall around the skin; transfer skin into a medium mixing bowl; add the chicken fajita mixture to the bowl of the sweet potato flesh. And blend well.
Arrange skins of sweet potatoes back onto the baking sheet, add chicken fajita/sweet potato flesh mixture into each skin, top with cheese and cilantro and bake in the oven once more for about 15-20 minutes, until cheese is browned.
Finish topping with salsa, cilantro, avocado, chili sauce, and sour cream mixture; Enjoy.