A fresh take on a comforting classic. Make your meal gluten-free, low carb, and colorful by substituting noodles with Zucchini! Mixing the zucchini with various colored vegetables, such as crisp green and red bell peppers, can maximize your nutrients by providing a higher vitamin and antioxidant intake.
- 2 whole Zucchini, large sliced lengthwise, 1⁄4” thick
- 3 cups Grape Tomatoes halved
- 1 1/2 cups Onions chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Bell peppers, red/yellow/orange fresh small diced OR thinly sliced
- 4 cups Garlic chopped
- 2 tsp Tomato paste (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp Oregano, dried
- 1 tsp Thyme, dried
- 2 tsp Basil, dried
- Salt to taste
- 1 1⁄2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 cups Parmesan-Reggiano and/or Asiago Cheese shredded or grated
- 2 cups Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese (optional) shredded
- 1/4 cup Parsley, fresh chopped
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan; Add garlic, onions and let cook for about 3 minutes; add the tomato paste with 1⁄4 cup of water, tomatoes, peppers, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper mix well, reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust with herbs and spices as needed.
- To begin the layering process: Set aside about 1 cup of the cheese for the top layer. In a large, deep casserole dish, line the bottom of the dish with 1 layer of the zucchini slices, arranging them as closely as possible; top the zucchini layer evenly with portion of the marinara sauce; top the sauce layer evenly with a portion of the cheeses. Repeat the layers in evenly in that order until the sauce is the top layer; top with cheese that was set aside.
- Place into oven and cook for 30-45 minutes until cheese is a toasty brown
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minute.
- Serve warm.
**This recipe can be varied with a number different vegetables. Meats/seafood can also be added**
FOOD NERD FACTS
- Zucchini are best to purchase small or medium, no longer than 7” in length as when they are longer they become bitter
- This recipe contains Vitamin B, which supports metabolism and cell maintenance